Government of Manitoba
Resume closing date:
Monday, December 4, 2017
Safety & Health Officer – Thompson
Manitoba Growth, Enterprise and Trade, Thompson, Manitoba
Advertisement Number: 33377
Salary Range: $55,264 - $70,376 per annum
Closing Date: December 4, 2017
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary civil service that is inclusive and reflective of the population it serves. We encourage applicants to voluntarily self-declare in the cover letter, resumé or application if they are from any of the following employment equity groups: women, Indigenous people, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities.
This is a preference competition. All applicants are encouraged to apply, however first consideration for this competition will be given to Indigenous People. Applicants are requested to self-declare at the time of application.
Workplace Safety and Health enforces The Workplace Safety and Health Act and its associated regulations in order to protect the safety and health of workers in Manitoba. Workplace Safety and Health’s inspection and investigation activity focuses on improving legislative compliance in order to eliminate workplace fatalities, injuries and illnesses.
The Manitoba government has a comprehensive compensation and benefits package which includes extended health care, health spending account, dental care, vision care, long term disability insurance, group life insurance, maternity/paternity leave, family related leave and a defined pension plan (some pension plans allow for portability between the Civil Service Superannuation Board and employers). Training and career development opportunities are also available for employees.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Ability to travel throughout the province to carry out responsibilities of the position
- Valid class 5 driver's license with the ability to operate a government-owned/leased vehicle in extreme environmental conditions
- Ability to carry out strenuous physical activity such as walking, climbing, crawling, bending and kneeling
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check and Child Abuse Registry Check
- Ability to work outside, in various environmental conditions
- Ability to work on-call and outside regular working hours
- Experience conducting inspections, investigations, audits, quality assurance, or program evaluation for the purpose of meeting accepted standards and/or legislation
- A combination of education/training and experience in occupational health and safety, a skilled trade or profession, management or a regulatory enforcement field, or post-secondary education in occupational health and safety, industrial hygiene, environmental health, labour law/studies, or a related field.
The safety and health officer conducts inspections and investigations into fatalities, right to refuse situations, discriminatory actions, serious incidents and other related workplace concerns in all industry sectors. The position completes assignments in accordance with The Workplace Safety and Health Act, the Workplace Safety and Health Regulation, and the operational procedures set by the Branch. The officer's work involves conducting inspections and interviews; preparing written reports on enforcement activities; issuing and determining compliance with improvement orders and stop work orders; and providing information to improve awareness of and compliance with safety and health legislation. The position may be called upon to give evidence at an inquest related to an incident or fatality or provide evidence before the Manitoba Labour Board.
For a complete description of the qualifications, duties and conditions of employment required for this position, please visit the Manitoba government job opportunities website at http://www.gov.mb.ca/govjobs/.
Advertisement No. 33377
Civil Service Commission
Human Resource Services
608-330 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3C 0C4
Email : email@example.com
Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.